Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Take away my filthy garments

Psa 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.

Cleanse thou me from secret faults.

What makes us dirty so that we need to be cleansed? Faults, sins.

Psa 14:3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

All together filthy- none doing good.

Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Our righteousness are as FILTHY rags.

Zec 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
Zec 3:4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.

Take away the filthy garments.
I will clothe thee with change of raiment.

1Co 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Ye are washed, ye are sanctified, ye are justified- IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS AND BY THE SPIRIT OF OUR GOD.


Lev 16:30 For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the LORD.


Psa 51:2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.


Wash me THROUGHLY from mine iniquity.
CLEANSE me from my sin.


Psa 119:9 BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.


Cleanse his way- taking heed-according to thy word.


Eze 37:23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwelling places, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God


I will save them.
Will cleanse them.


Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.


Cleanse your hands ye sinners.
Purify your hearts ye double minded.


We are filthy. We need cleansing. It's no coincidence that there is physical dirtiness. It is no coincidence that we equate good things with clean things. When something, or someone is dirty it's not pleasant, right? We like our things clean. We like our food taken from the ground to be clean before we eat it. We like our hands to be washed before with eat something with them.


We all know our history, how in 'the old days' it was acceptable to only bath once a week and in some cases once a month, yet even those who only bathed that infrequently still generally washed up superficially - their hands, their faces. People did not as a rule walk around with filth covered faces and hands.


There is a television show on called Survivor and on that show they are not given the luxuries of a bathing room- no tubs, no sinks, no soap. These people have to rely upon natures cleansers- oceans, sand, rivers, streams and the like. You can tell how much they detest being without their luxuries of modern living. You can also tell how ill equipped they are to deal with their filthiness.


We, in our modern lives have learned to equate dirt with germs. We'd NEVER operate on a person without sterile conditions yet a hundred years ago or so it was common to merely superficially wash up and have at it. No one knew about invisible germs back then, and even so they didn't equate dirt with sickness.


Of course this isn't true of all peoples or all times. Some cultures take great pride in their cleanliness and have for many centuries.


Clean and unclean. Pure and sinful.


We are taught to be clean people.
We are taught to wash our faces, our hands, our hair, our bodies.
We are taught to take measures to remain clean- wear gloves, wear work clothes, wear work boots.


It is safe to say that we are happier being clean than being unclean, right? And that's superficial cleanliness, that's fleshy cleanliness.


If we are aware so acutely aware of physical filth shouldn't we be just as acutely aware of spiritual filth?


If we understand and appreciate being physically clean, it shouldn't be too hard to comprehend that we need to be spiritually clean.


Sin is filth.
Sin defiles.


Eze 37:23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.


Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.


Do you see the comparison? We don't like to be dirty physically and go to great lengths to keep clean but it's NOT our physical dirt that defiles us but rather our hearts cause us to be spiritually filthy.


Jud 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
Jud 1:25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.


Psa 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.


Please Lord there is so much filth in my life. I… like Paul, am the chief of sinners. If I look to myself for cleansing all I can to is wash away the physical filth. I need YOU to cleanse me. I need YOU to keep me from falling, I need YOU to present me faultless before the glory of God. I need YOU to spiritually cleanse me. Please Lord WASH me, cleanse me even from the faults that are secret. I have no righteousness of my own, it is all YOUR righteousness which saves me. Please Lord.


Take away MY filthy garments.
CLOTHE ME with change of raiment.


WASH ME, SANCTIFY ME, JUSTIFY ME- IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS AND BY THE SPIRIT OF OUR GOD.


By Your grace!!!!


Amen.

No comments: