Friday, December 30, 2016

Sinners, of whom I am chief.

Were the Apostles filled with the Holy Spirit?

Act 1:24  And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen, 
Act 1:25  That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place. 
Act 1:26  And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles. 
Act 2:1  And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 
Act 2:2  And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 
Act 2:3  And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 
Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

The answer to the above question is yes. The Apostles were filled with the Holy Spirit.

The Apostles were leading lives in the Spirit, they were Spiritual Men.

Were their lives easy because they were Spiritual Men?

Paul speaking--

2Co 11:24  Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. 
2Co 11:25  Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; 
2Co 11:26  In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 
2Co 11:27  In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. 
2Co 11:28  Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches. 
2Co 11:29  Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not? 
2Co 11:30  If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities. 
2Co 11:31  The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is blessed for evermore, knoweth that I lie not. 
2Co 11:32  In Damascus the governor under Aretas the king kept the city of the Damascenes with a garrison, desirous to apprehend me: 
2Co 11:33  And through a window in a basket was I let down by the wall, and escaped his hands. 


2Co 6:3  Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed: 
2Co 6:4  But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, 
2Co 6:5  In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; 
2Co 6:6  By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned, 
2Co 6:7  By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, 
2Co 6:8  By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; 
2Co 6:9  As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; 
2Co 6:10  As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. 
2Co 6:11  O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged. 
2Co 6:12  Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels. 
2Co 6:13  Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged. 

Rom 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 
Rom 7:16  If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. 
Rom 7:17  Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 
Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 
Rom 7:19  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 
Rom 7:20  Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 
Rom 7:21  I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. 
Rom 7:22  For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 
Rom 7:23  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 
Rom 7:24  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 
Rom 7:25  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. 

The Apostles lives were FAR from easy because they were Spiritual Men. They didn't have easy, carefree lives. Yes, they trusted in the Lord, yet they remained men, they did NOT become Gods. If we are looking to become something unique and special, with amazing powers to live a spiritual life in some inexplicable way then we are being deceived!  If we are waiting for some miraculous change to take place in ourselves so that we are no longer ourselves, we are being fooled. We will forever be who we are and we can be no other than who we are in our personalities, in our essential being. The things we despise in ourselves and consider unspiritual, unseemly, ungodly are the things we need to pray on and relinquish, to fight the war upon without ceasing. We must seek forgiveness often never getting to a place we believe we no longer are in need of forgiveness. Being a Spiritual Man is NOT asking to be someone else, someone alien to us, but rather it is asking to be exactly who we are as well as a full on Christian warrior in the spiritual battle being raged all about us.

*******

'A Christian must be delivered from every misconception with respect to spiritual life. He often surmises, before he enters the spiritual sphere, that if only he could be as spiritual as his brother how happy he would be! He visualizes the spiritual odyssey as a most happy affair; and so he contemplates spending his days in perfect joy. Little does he know that the opposite is the truth. The spiritual path does not yield any enjoyment to the person himself; it is instead a life of daily fighting. To remove warfare from a spiritual life is to render it unspiritual. Life in the spirit is a suffering way, filled with watching and laboring, burdened by weariness and trial, punctuated by heartbreak and conflict. It is a life utterly outpoured entirely for the kingdom of God and lived in complete disregard for one’s personal happiness. When a Christian is carnal he lives towards himself and for his own “spiritual” enjoyment.'  The Spiritual Man - by Watchman Nee

*******

Deliver us, Lord from every single misconception we have about what it means to be Yours. Help us to be YOURS wholly, fully YOURS. Work in us, do all for us we cannot ever do. Save us from all that is in us which would keep us from belonging to You! We would be YOURS! All though Jesus Christ our LORD our SAVIOR now and forever!

AMEN.

No comments: