Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Is Your Affliction Light?


2Co 4:17  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory

Did someone who said these words, inspired by the Holy Spirit, say them haphazardly? Were they written without real knowledge of 'light affliction'?

Let's find out-

2Co 11:23  …I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. 

He was in prisons frequently. He faced death often.

2Co 11:24  Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. 

Five times he received thirty-nine whippings.

2Co 11:25  Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; 

Three times he was beaten with rods. 

One time he was stoned.

Three times he was in shipwrecks.

One night and one day he was in the water.

2Co 11:26  In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 

He journeyed often.
He was in danger with water.
He was in danger with robbers.
He was in danger by his fellow countrymen.
He was in danger by the heathen.
He was in danger in the city, the wilderness, and in the sea.
He was in danger from false fellow followers.

2Co 11:27  In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. 

He was weary, in pain, watching often, hungry, thirsty, fasting, cold and naked.

And this man could say his afflictions were light.  LIGHT AFFLICTION- beaten, stoned, whipped, imprisoned… just to name a few of his afflictions.

I've never been beaten, I've never been whipped, I've never been stoned, I've never been imprisoned, I've never been confronted by robbers, I've never starved. I've never had those particular 'light' afflictions.

2Co 4:17  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory

The afflictions I have had are nothing like Paul's afflictions, not at all. Yet, not to diminish anyone's afflictions, we ALL experience our afflictions to our own degree. What I mean is I can't make light of your afflictions if I think they are nothing compared to mine, that's not truth, that's not acceptable at all. Your heart maybe so deeply hurt by something that wouldn't hurt mine much at all. I can't know another's heart. Our afflictions are ours to endure through the power of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  No MATTER the affliction though, the greatest to the least, they are ALL but for a moment when you compare them to eternity. Seventy, eighty, ninety years of affliction is still but a moment next to time eternal.  All the afflictions we are called to endure will work in us, drawing us ever closer to our Savior. The exceeding and eternal weight of glory this is our hope through our Savior! This is something we need to cling through during all our afflictions. It's not easy, it's horrible what we suffer, but it is temporary to eternity! Praise the LORD! Please, Lord, help us to keep our eyes on YOU through ALL life's many, many horrors! 

All through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, now and forever!!!!!!!

No comments: