Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Imprisoned For God's Work.


CHAPTER 16  (The Great Controversy)

Paul Visited Jerusalem

Shortly after Paul's conversion he visited Jerusalem, and preached Jesus, and the wonders of his grace.  He related his miraculous conversion, which enraged the priests, and rulers, and they sought to take his life.  But that his life might be saved, Jesus appeared to him again in a vision while he was praying, saying unto him, Get thee quickly out of Jerusalem; for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me.  Paul earnestly plead with Jesus, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee.  And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him.  Paul thought the Jews in Jerusalem could not resist his testimony; that they would consider that the great change in him could only be wrought by the power of God.  But Jesus said unto him, Depart, for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.

In Paul's absence from Jerusalem, he wrote many letters to different places, relating his experience, and bearing a powerful testimony.  But some strove to destroy the influence of those letters.  They had to admit that his letters were weighty and powerful; but declared that his bodily presence was weak, and his speech contemptible.

I saw that Paul was a man of great learning, and his wisdom and manners charmed his hearers.  Learned men were pleased with his knowledge, and many of them believed on Jesus.  When before kings and large assemblies, he would pour forth such eloquence as would bear down all before him.  This greatly enraged the priests and elders.  Paul could readily enter into deep reasoning, and soar up, and carry the people with him, in the most exalted trains of thought, and bring to view the deep riches of the grace of God, and portray before them the amazing love of Christ.  Then with simplicity he would come down to the understanding of the common people, and in a most powerful manner relate his experience, which called forth from them ardent desires to be the disciples of Christ.

The Lord revealed to Paul that he must again go up to Jerusalem; that he would there be bound and suffer for his name.  And although he was a prisoner for a great length of time, yet the Lord was carrying forward his special work through him.  Paul's bonds were to be the means of spreading the knowledge of Christ, and thus glorifying God.  As he was sent from city to city for his trial, the testimony concerning Jesus, and the interesting incidents of his conversion were related before kings and governors, that they should not be left without testimony concerning Jesus.  Thousands believed on him and rejoiced in his name.  I saw that God's special purpose was fulfilled in the journey of Paul upon the water, that the ship's crew might witness the power of God through Paul, and that the heathen also might hear the name of Jesus, and many be converted through his teaching, and by witnessing the miracles he wrought.  Kings and governors were charmed by his reasoning, and as, with zeal and the power of the Holy Spirit, he preached Jesus, and related the interesting events of his experience, conviction fastened upon them that Jesus was the Son of God; and while some wondered with amazement as they listened to Paul, one cried out, Almost thou persuadest me to be a christian.  Yet they thought that at some future time they would consider what they had heard.  Satan took advantage of the delay, and as they neglected that opportunity when their hearts were softened, it was forever.  Their hearts became hardened.

I was shown the work of Satan in first blinding the eyes of the Jews so that they would not receive Jesus as their Saviour; and next in leading them, through envy because of his mighty works, to desire his life.  Satan entered one of Jesus' own followers, and led him on to betray him into their hands, and they crucified the Lord of life and glory.  After Jesus arose from the dead, the Jews added sin to sin as they sought to hide the fact of the resurrection, by hiring for money the Roman guard to testify to a falsehood.  But the resurrection of Jesus was made doubly sure by the resurrection of a multitude of witnesses who arose with him.  Jesus appeared to his disciples, and to above five hundred at once, while those whom he brought up with him appeared unto many declaring that Jesus had risen.

Satan had caused the Jews to rebel against God, by refusing to receive his Son, and in staining their hands with most precious blood in crucifying him.  No matter how powerful the evidence given of Jesus' being the Son of God, the Redeemer of the world; they had murdered him, and could not receive any evidence in his favor.  Their only hope and consolation, like Satan's after his fall, was in trying to prevail against the Son of God.  They continued their rebellion by persecuting the disciples of Christ, and putting them to death.  Nothing fell so harshly on their ears as the name of Jesus whom they had crucified; and they were determined not to listen to any evidence in his favor.  As in the case of Stephen, as the Holy Spirit through him declared the mighty evidence of his being the Son of God, they stopped their ears lest they should be convinced.  And while Stephen was wrapped up in God's glory, they stoned him to death.  Satan had the murderers of Jesus fast in his grasp.  By wicked works they had yielded themselves his willing subjects, and through them he was at work to trouble and annoy the believers of Christ.  He worked through the Jews to stir up the Gentiles against the name of Jesus, and against those who followed him, and believed on his name.  But God sent his angels to strengthen the disciples for their work, that they might testify of the things they had seen and heard, and at last in their steadfastness, seal their testimony with their blood.

Satan rejoiced that the Jews were safe in his snare.  They still continued their useless forms, their sacrifices and ordinances.  As Jesus hung upon the cross, and cried, It is finished, the vail of the temple was rent in twain, from the top to the bottom, to signify that God would no longer meet with the priests in the temple, to accept their sacrifices and ordinances; and also to show that the partition wall was broken down between the Jews and the Gentiles.  Jesus had made an offering of himself for both, and if saved at all, both must believe in Jesus as the only offering for sin, and the Saviour of the world.

While Jesus hung upon the cross, as the soldier pierced his side with a spear, there came out blood and water, in two distinct streams, one of blood, the other of clear water.  The blood was to wash away the sins of those who should believe in his name.  The water represents that living water which is obtained from Jesus to give life to the believer.

See Matthew 27:51; John 19:34; Acts chap.24&26

Mat 27:51  And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent

Joh 19:34  But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water. 

Act 24:1  And after five days Ananias the high priest descended with the elders, and with a certain orator named Tertullus, who informed the governor against Paul. 
Act 24:2  And when he was called forth, Tertullus began to accuse him, saying, Seeing that by thee we enjoy great quietness, and that very worthy deeds are done unto this nation by thy providence, 
Act 24:3  We accept it always, and in all places, most noble Felix, with all thankfulness. 
Act 24:4  Notwithstanding, that I be not further tedious unto thee, I pray thee that thou wouldest hear us of thy clemency a few words. 
Act 24:5  For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes: 
Act 24:6  Who also hath gone about to profane the temple: whom we took, and would have judged according to our law. 
Act 24:7  But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands, 
Act 24:8  Commanding his accusers to come unto thee: by examining of whom thyself mayest take knowledge of all these things, whereof we accuse him. 
Act 24:9  And the Jews also assented, saying that these things were so. 
Act 24:10  Then Paul, after that the governor had beckoned unto him to speak, answered, Forasmuch as I know that thou hast been of many years a judge unto this nation, I do the more cheerfully answer for myself: 
Act 24:11  Because that thou mayest understand, that there are yet but twelve days since I went up to Jerusalem for to worship. 
Act 24:12  And they neither found me in the temple disputing with any man, neither raising up the people, neither in the synagogues, nor in the city: 
Act 24:13  Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me. 
Act 24:14  But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets: 
Act 24:15  And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust. 
Act 24:16  And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men. 
Act 24:17  Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings. 
Act 24:18  Whereupon certain Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple, neither with multitude, nor with tumult. 
Act 24:19  Who ought to have been here before thee, and object, if they had ought against me. 
Act 24:20  Or else let these same here say, if they have found any evil doing in me, while I stood before the council, 
Act 24:21  Except it be for this one voice, that I cried standing among them, Touching the resurrection of the dead I am called in question by you this day. 

Act 24:22  And when Felix heard these things, having more perfect knowledge of that way, he deferred them, and said, When Lysias the chief captain shall come down, I will know the uttermost of your matter. 
Act 24:23  And he commanded a centurion to keep Paul, and to let him have liberty, and that he should forbid none of his acquaintance to minister or come unto him. 
Act 24:24  And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. 
Act 24:25  And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. 
Act 24:26  He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might loose him: wherefore he sent for him the oftener, and communed with him. 
Act 24:27  But after two years Porcius Festus came into Felix' room: and Felix, willing to shew the Jews a pleasure, left Paul bound. 

Act 26:1  Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Thou art permitted to speak for thyself. Then Paul stretched forth the hand, and answered for himself: 
Act 26:2  I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews: 
Act 26:3  Especially because I know thee to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech thee to hear me patiently. 
Act 26:4  My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; 
Act 26:5  Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. 
Act 26:6  And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers: 
Act 26:7  Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews. 
Act 26:8  Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead? 
Act 26:9  I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. 
Act 26:10  Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. 
Act 26:11  And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities. 

Act 26:12  Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests, 
Act 26:13  At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. 
Act 26:14  And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 
Act 26:15  And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. 
Act 26:16  But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; 
Act 26:17  Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 
Act 26:18  To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. 
Act 26:19  Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: 
Act 26:20  But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. 
Act 26:21  For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me. 
Act 26:22  Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come: 
Act 26:23  That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles. 
Act 26:24  And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad. 
Act 26:25  But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness. 
Act 26:26  For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner. 
Act 26:27  King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest. 
Act 26:28  Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. 
Act 26:29  And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds. 
Act 26:30  And when he had thus spoken, the king rose up, and the governor, and Bernice, and they that sat with them: 
Act 26:31  And when they were gone aside, they talked between themselves, saying, This man doeth nothing worthy of death or of bonds. 
Act 26:32  Then said Agrippa unto Festus, This man might have been set at liberty, if he had not appealed unto Caesar. 


No comments: