Saturday, May 16, 2009

Guest Blog by Matthew - God & Entertainment

Psalm 100: MAKE a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD he is god: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

I'm going to be honest with you, I don't think I have that much insight or intelligence in this kind of matter. I'm no more qualified to write up a bill than I am to write for my mom's blog. Though perhaps comparing her blog to the government is a bad idea. She asked me to write something for today and said to find a passage and write what it made me feel so I spent a small amount of time flipping through the pages of my Bible. The more I looked the more I thought that I shouldn't be doing it but I can at least try.

Psalm 100 stood out to me because of a news story about a boy being unable to graduate if he attends his girlfriend's high school prom. Because Rock music, dancing, holding hands, and kissing were against their policy. The paslm above makes no specific mention of what music the Lord likes. It just tells us to come before him singing. I won't debate what songs were played at that school prom and whether they would or would not please God but I know of plenty of Christian Rock bands that sing songs to God so an outright hatred of any kind of music seems irrational to me because any kind of music can be used for the Lord. The content of each song should probably be evaluated to decide whether it would or would not be acceptable in God's eyes but the very genre itself seems up to the individual. Indeed, why would God influence musicians to make that kind of music for him if he didn't want it?


2 Samuel 6:14-23

14And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.
15So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

16And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.

17And they brought in the ark of the LORD, and set it in his place, in the midst of the tabernacle that David had pitched for it: and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD.

18And as soon as David had made an end of offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts.

19And he dealt among all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to every one a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed every one to his house.

20Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!

21And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD.

22And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour.

23Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.

I apologize for the length of this one and for the format, I retrieved it off of Bible.com without knowing exactly where to look for it myself. This passage also comes to mind when thinking about what God does and does not want from us. David himself danced in honor of God. We should also praise god in any manner possible. Not just in uncomfortable routine ways that become chores. We can praise God by dancing and singing and he wants that. But then again who am I to say what he wants? Who's to say I'm right? I don't feel very confident or competent and I can't wrap my mind around what I'm trying to say.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't jump the gun and decide for God what is right and wrong when it comes to entertainment. And that goes for myself as well. I shouldn't try to tell you what is acceptable. The best advice I can give is to read his word and go from there.

May the Lord help us all find out what is right and wrong and help us walk along the right path.

Amen.

No comments: