Friday, January 2, 2015

Abstain from fleshly lusts

ABSTAIN. 1 Peter 2:11

DENY YOURSELF. Luke 9:23

PUT OFF.  Ephesians 4:22-24

We find it a great hardship when we are told to abstain from food eight hours before a medical test. Deprivation in order to have some procedure done, from the testing of blood to surgery. Deprivation why? We are told it's because the 'fasting' bloodwork reveals differences from the non-fasting bloodwork. We are told we must have an empty stomach  to lessen the chances of vomiting during surgery. We are told to deprive ourselves for our own good.  We generally listen,  with perhaps a few liberties such as a sip of water, a swallow of coffee, or some such and even as we take that liberty we know we could be endangering ourselves by our action- according to doctors/surgeons and all the history they have to draw on that led them to the conclusions fasting is better for certain things.  We listen because we want to be safe. We want the correct blood work done in order to show the results untampered with in order to determine if we need various medicines to help us should our blood work reveal things that aren't so good. We want to keep from vomiting during surgery and after surgery, we don't want to choke, we don't want to injure ourselves from the forceful throes of vomiting.  We are protecting ourselves. We are abstaining to protect ourselves.  We only feel a mild irritation that things have to be this way, that we have to abstain because we know it is what it is and we can't change anything. 

Our Lord in His Most Holy Word tells us to ABSTAIN from fleshly lusts which war against the soul.

Definitions:
Fleshy lusts-
G4559 sarkikos,  pertaining to flesh, that is, (by extension) bodily, temporal, or (by implication) animal, unregenerate: - carnal, fleshly.
G1939 epithumia, a longing (especially for what is forbidden): - concupiscence, desire, lust (after).

These flesh fueled cravings that WAR against us, what are they? If they're things we desire then how are they warring against us? 

We know the flesh is at war with the spirit, right?

Gal 5:17  For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Again, if we want to do things, why are they wrong things? 

What sort of flesh desiring things are contrary to the Spirit?

Rom 7:14  For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Rom 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16  If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17  Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Evil. What flesh desiring things are evil?

What is evil?

In a nutshell, evil is selfishness, self-centeredness, evil is self-indulgence, evil is self.

We are to abstain from anything that would keep us centered on ourselves!

How can that be? How would we live at all if we weren't concerned for our own well-being- feeding, bathing, clothing ourselves?  All these things are necessary just because we exist, right? So how can they be evil?  They can be perverted. There is an acceptable indulgence of self so that the needs of living are taken care of, but beyond that shouldn't our centered be on God and others and off of ourselves?

No wonder so few will be known by our Savior when He returns. We are a world filled with self indulgence, self centeredness, selfishness.  We come first simply because we exist, and others may come first only as it suits our selfishness to put them there.

More tomorrow by the grace of our LORD and SAVIOR Jesus Christ- the PERFECTLY SELFLESS ONE!

Amen!

*******

1 Peter 2:11  Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul

Luke 9:23  And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.


Ephesians  4:22-24 Put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts. Be renewed in the spirit of your mind. Put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. 

No comments: