Saturday, January 7, 2017

Losing our minds...

There is a very real danger of losing our minds, our sanity, our emotional stability when we are not grounded firmly in Christ. Satan will stop at NOTHING to gain our sanity, stripping it from us in any way he possibly can. The closer a person is to Christ the more Satan will fight for them, he will stop at very little to  try and win them from salvation. The onslaughts will come when we don't expect them. We can think our faith is strong only to have it rocked off its foundation, ripped from its sure hold and tossed about in the wildest of storms. By the grace and mercy of God may we never LOSE complete faith, may the tiniest of tethers remain in Christ always, because the tiniest tether in Christ is stronger than any storm of the Devil's.

Emotional turmoil.

Anger, disappointment, sadness, heartache, confusion, fear all these emotions and more created a torrent of anxiety within us that is far from quiet, far from restful and therefore by definition- far from peaceful.

We say we can't help but have these emotions as circumstances dictate in our lives. We've grown used to experiencing these kinds of responses to the stimulus that warrants the behavior. We tell others instantly that it is normal to feel the way they are feeling, and we are speaking the truth because in our lives we've allowed ourselves to make these things normal, things that wouldn't be considered normal at another time, another era. We've called it advancement, emotional advancement now that we can express our feelings so openly. Before when they were repressed it led to all sorts of angst, at least that's what we've told ourselves.

You know, just because enough people in supposed positions of authority have declared something to be truth does NOT make it truth. Yet people want to agree with the authorities on a subject when it gives them any insight into their lives. Am I advocating hiding emotions? Maybe I am, because when I say we should take our 'cares' to God and then by HIS grace and power, leave those cares with HIM, I am saying we truly do not have to blanket our friends and family with our anguish as if we do not have a God who is in control and wants all things to work together for our good. I am NOT saying hide it from friends and family IF you are needing to share it with them to get their prayer support, never hide it to your own harm. I think what I'm trying to comprehend for myself and maybe any others should they possibly need it, is that for us to have spirit peace, that very special peace that passes understanding that comes from God, we need to seek spirit peace. We need to ACTIVELY seek out spirit peace as life constantly throws us one trying time after another.

Do you remember this song--

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul
It is well
With my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, o my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
Written by Horatio Spafford

From <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_with_My_Soul>

Do you know the story behind the song- I may have written of this before but it warrants doing so again- Wikipedia-

This hymn was written after traumatic events in Spafford's life. The first was the death of his son at the age of 2 and the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer and had invested significantly in property in the area of Chicago that was extensively damaged by the great fire). His business interests were further hit by the economic downturn of 1873, at which time he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the SS Ville du Havre. In a late change of plan, he sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone …". Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.[3]

From <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_with_My_Soul>

Just imagine the great losses this man endured and yet he still held fast to his Savior, Jesus Christ. The hope he had brought him SPIRIT PEACE. The peace that can only come from God.

Quietness, restful, set at one again- a Bible dictionary definition of peace.

Joh_14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Php 4:6  Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 
Php 4:7  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 

No comments: