Sunday, April 19, 2020

What is the Abundance of Your Heart?


My wicked, wicked tongue! Unbridled, wild, untamed, evil, full of poison- this is my tongue!

Be careful what you wish for, you've all heard that before. Why do you need to be careful? Because sometimes what you wish for is given to you and it turns out to put you in a situation you aren't particularly fond of being in.  Have you heard this other saying, I'm sure you have, 'It's for your own good.'  That is usually accompanied with something, again,  that you aren't particularly fond of.  When you know something is for your own good and you wish for that something and the result is chaos, upheaval, and all sorts of undesirable happenstances that you sort of knew would occur, it's not pleasant.

I want desperately for God to create in me a clean heart, to renew a right spirit within me. I want desperately to belong to God, heart, soul, spirit, all of me. I want God to use me for HIS service, all my plans I want to lay at HIS feet for HIM to direct. I want HIM to see if there is any wicked way in me and lead me in HIS way everlasting. I want only HIS truth not the lies and fables, the traditions that have replaced truth. I want the LORD to lead me now and always.

I WANT ALL of what I wrote above and I know this--

Heb_12:11  Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

God has been working in me, PRAISE HIM! God has revealed to me the wickedness of my tongue. And you know what…

Mat_12:34  …for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Please, LORD, I need a CLEAN heart so what comes out of my mouth is to YOUR glory always, and not wicked. I don't want the abundance of my heart to be wickedness, I want it to be love, Your love.

When the Holy Spirit works in us we may experience chastising, we say something and no sooner is it out of our mouths then we are made aware of the wrongness of what we've said. Too late to take it back, it's been said, it's been heard. The words spoken have entered the thoughts of the one who heard them and you can't undo that, not ever.

My words are powerful, so incredibly powerful as are all of our words. I don't think we realize quite enough just how powerful they are. God knows how powerful they are, read this--

Jas 3:2  …If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. 
Jas 3:3  Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. 
Jas 3:4  Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. 
Jas 3:5  Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 
Jas 3:6  And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. 
Jas 3:7  For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: 
Jas 3:8  But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 
Jas 3:9  Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. 
Jas 3:10  Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. 
Jas 3:11  Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? 
Jas 3:12  Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh. 

EVIL TONGUE!

Oh, to be able to take a vow of silence just to silence the wicked little tongue I possess. But we are not called to vows of silence, at least I'm not being called to one at this time. I am being chastened, I am being guided, I am being taught, and this isn't the first time I've had this brought to my attention. God would have me surrender all of me to HIM and that includes by tongue and its wickedness. I need Christ to live in me, working HIS will in me, guarding the door to my lips.

Forgive me, God, forgive me for letting my selfish, self-centered focus be made even more apparent in my words, in my conversations with others. Help me to listen, to be quick to hear and slow to speak, help me to weigh the words I choose to utter not let them spill forth from my mouth like a newly knocked over fire hydrant flooding the world around me, the people around me, with my inane chatter, all too often verbally poisoning them. Help me to listen!

And Lord, please, when others purposefully or inadvertently seek to wound me with their words do NOT let me return in kind, but with a soft answer. Let no grievous words come from me, LORD. Please.  Thank you, precious, LORD, thank you!

Pro 15:1  A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. 

No comments: