Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Treasures For Ourselves, Or Rich Towards God?


Luk 12:13  And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. 
Luk 12:14  And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? 
Luk 12:15  And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. 

Luk 12:16  And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: 
Luk 12:17  And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? 
Luk 12:18  And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. 
Luk 12:19  And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. 
Luk 12:20  But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

Luk 12:21  So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God. 

Treasure for ourselves or rich towards God?

Truly our lives do not consist in the abundance of the things we own. And yet, we've made it a sign throughout our human history that to own things- the MORE the BETTER, especially if these are high quality, expensive things. The more money the better. The newer cars (the most expensive compared to the older), the newer houses, the newer possessions in the house, the most up to date styles in clothing and fashion in general- these are the things we've been taught to desire. I say taught to desire because the media, the society we grow up in, all of it plays a part to teach us this. The very fact that we worship, yes, worship movie stars- people who are good at pretending to be other people convincingly enough to follow scripts, directions, and they look appealing on camera, this tells us about the world we are growing up in. These movie stars are worshipped, literally, in so many ways. We ask ourselves to name one actor/actress that we would love to meet, and should that day ever come we'd be awestruck by just another human being, but one who has become idolized.

I have an abundance of earthly treasures in my life, so much so that were I directed to leave them all I would be hard pressed to do so. My first thought would be - where can I put all my things in storage. What if I were called to sacrifice ALL my earthly treasures? Besides being considered a lunatic in need of locking up for a bit, could I do it? I take joy in the memories provoked by my material possessions. My eyes could light upon my curio/china cabinet and I can spy a certain Precious Moments figurine and instantly it pleases me because I enjoy these adorable figurines.

Earthly treasures.

Luk 12:15  And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. 

Take HEED- warning, warning, warning!  BEWARE of covetousness!

Our lives do NOT consist in the abundance of what we possess.

More on this tomorrow by the GRACE and WILL of our LORD AND SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST!

No comments: